Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Why Wait to Give Thanks?

Submitted by Laura on Thu, 11/01/2012 - 11:54pm

It's November 1!  At the end of the month, many of us will be gathered around the dinner table, toasting to family and friends, and sharing what we have to be thankful for.  Why wait until the end of the month?!
First, I am thankful for my husband, who takes care of me on a daily basis -both physically and emotionally.  He washes my tubes, gets my feedings together, makes dinner, walks/feeds the dogs, cleans the house, etc.  Beyond that, he's my partner, in it with me for the long haul.  He never makes me feel like he wishes for a different life. I never question his love or devotion to 'us'.  I have to wonder if this is why I don't think about transplant on most days - because most days are happy and filled with love.  He's on this journey with me and does everything in his power to give me everything I need.  I couldn't be more blessed.  How did I get so lucky?
Second, I am thankful for my Mom.  She comes over every night to do my manual treatment and has been doing this for probably over a year now. Ridiculous, right???  Thank goodness she recently purchased a house only 7 minutes away from me!  You may be asking yourself why Joe doesn't just do my treatment....he does sometimes, but Mom is just better at it - I think it's her shorter, fatter hands!!!  It creates the right cushion and pop.  Anyway, I know she's tired at 9:30 at night and when she is done by 11 pm, she has to drive home and is very groggy!  Her shoulders, arms, and wrists ache from the beating she's giving me for the 1-1.5 hours, but she (mostly) doesn't complain.  She's devoted!  She will help with other chores that I ask her to do and will drive me to my doctors appointments.  I am thankful that she's available and willing to help me and I love her.
Third, I am thankful for my job for offering long term disability benefits and health insurance.  This journey could be a million times harder if these benefits were not available and I am SO THANKFUL for these.  I am also extremely thankful for all of the people that have supported my fundraiser and donated to help with other extenuating costs that will come from my transplant surgery. Thanks to Jeff for running a marathon and raising money for me!!!  I feel a lot of love and prayer coming from all of you! 
Next, I am thankful for my friends and family.  They keep me energized and help me get out of the house!  It's so important for someone who is chronically ill not to lose touch with friends and society, or else it's so easy to become isolated.  For everyone who has come by my house to sit with me, cook for me, bring me meals, visit, take care of the dogs, include me in plans, whatever....THANK YOU.  You really don't know how much a phone call, card in the mail, or a visit to my home really means to me in the scheme of things.  Special thanks to Stephanie and Selina for not minding doing boring things with me a lot of the time. =)  Thanks, Leigha, for all your greeting cards and to Jenni for our Cheesecake Factory dates. Thanks, Auntie Pam - I always know how much you are thinking of me.
Thanks to my puppies, who never see me differently, no matter what physical condition I am in.  You guys make my days bearable with your hugs, kisses, and playful spirits.
Thanks to my doctors, nurses, and pulmonary rehab staff.  Without your care, I wouldn't be here today.  Special shout-out to the pulmonary rehab staff for helping me stay motivated while I workout.  It's easy to dread going to the gym, but seeing you and chatting you up between machines makes me want to come to the gym!  Thanks to the mystery man/woman who pays my gym membership! =)

I know there is a lot of other stuff I would list out if I had more time....but it's 9:52 pm and time for my nightly treatment!  This month (and always) I will be giving thanks for all of the wonderful things in my life and counting my blessings before I sleep.  Ya, needing a lung transplant sucks, but in the grand scheme of things, I say I'm pretty damn lucky for all of the wonderful blessings I've listed (and more!).  So, happy November and Happy Thanksgiving!!!  XO


No comments:

Post a Comment