Tuesday, July 30, 2013

5 Month Lung-aversary

Submitted by Laura on Thu, 05/09/2013 - 7:25pm

Wow, April has been quite an interesting month.  If you haven't already heard, on April 18, I had open heart surgery to fix an ascending aortic aneurysm (AAA).  When I went in to have my stent placed, I was in so much chest and back pain, that the doctor suspected something else and ordered a CT scan.  The radiologist found the aneurysm and I was admitted to the hospital on the 16th.  Dr. Schwartz, who performed my X-mas day thoracotomy, also did my AAA surgery.  He explained that from the March bronchoscopy, fungus was found growing in my lung, so from that infection, it most likely traveled through my blood and attached itself to the spot in my heart where the heart/lung bypass had been attached to my aorta during the lung transplant.  Apparently, bacteria and fungus love to attach itself to weak/damaged tissue, so an infection started and created the aneurysm.  Ironically, the doctor thinks the scar tissue from my lung tx helped keep the aneurysm from bursting.  The aneurysm was the size of a small orange!!!!!  So, God must be looking out for me.  I was in the hospital for 9 days total. Once at home, I actually got back on my feet pretty quickly.  I do have some incision chest pain, collar bone pain, and leg/groin pain, but I am able to breathe better, cook some dinners, pick up, and make it to doctor's appointments.  I am doing really good, the doctors were pretty amazed how well I am doing after 3 major surgeries!
Since I got home, Joe and I did some house shopping, went to a bridal shower, and walked a 5K in honor of my friend's son, who has William's Syndrome.  After the 5K, I felt pretty good, however the last three days my right side sciatic nerve is seriously causing me tons of pain and some loss of ability to walk!  After 2 trips to the Chiro, I am finally better today with only some minimal twinges. =)  Other than this, I am planning a graduation party for my cousin and brother-in-law and getting ready for summer!
Wish me luck and pray I have no more of these setbacks!!!  I still need my stents, but the doctor has not cleared me yet for additional procedures, so we are waiting on that.  I will try to keep all of you posted!

Laura XO

No comments:

Post a Comment