Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Post Transplant: I didn't go home =(

Submitted by Laura on Wed, 01/09/2013 - 8:56pm

The last few days have been a blur!  I am stable in terms of pain and lungs, so it feels like I should have been home by now, but I'm still here at Loyola.  My liver enzymes have been slowly coming down, so the doctor tried to introduce posiconazole last night, and my liver enzymes spiked again.  Therefore, they have definitely figured out the high liver enzymes are due to anti-fungal drugs.  I have to stop taking those, and breath in Amphiteracin B, which is a nebulized anti-fungal drug.
The last few days have basically consisted of tweaking my insulin pump settings overnight and praying it brings down my sugars enough so I can go home.  The last 3 days haven't worked, so I am hoping we can figure this out by Friday, so I can be discharged and be home for the weekend!  Tuesday was a very frustrating, because they were 95% sure I would be going home.  Nurse Erin came in the morning and was getting me all set to leave, but then I went down to get an ultrasound of my legs to check for clots (I have none), and when I came back, I found out I wasn't going home. I cried....and cried....I was pretty upset, but after thinking about it, it makes sense that I need to stay.  I don't want to go into some diabetic coma at home.  So, I'm okay with all of it....just as long as I'm home on Saturday! =)
I've been walking pretty far.  I did 6 loops around the floor, which is 2/3 of a mile.  Joe has visited each night.  I had a great time meeting Gina Lombardi, who is the friend of another transplant patient I met online.  Gina visited me 2 days ago, brought me some wonderful nail polish, and we had a great time getting to know eachother a bit.  Funny how lung transplant helps you make new friends!!!  My aunt Jane visited me today and we had a nice time together.  She brought me a late birthday gift, and I will be enjoying my favorite tea in my new teacup!  Thanks Janie-bird =).
Overall I'm in a good place.  I get better each day!  The only thing that I cannot stand is this hospital food.  I just really don't have an appetite.  I started a 'meal list' for home, planning what dinners I want when I get home. Yum.  I am going to ask everyone to pray that we figure out these sugars and I can get home by Saturday!

Also, I am praying for everyone that they don't get this dumb flu that is going around!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment