Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Almost 4 Months Post Transplant

Submitted by Laura on Mon, 04/01/2013 - 6:01pm

Last blog was on 2/11 - for good reason - I've been out celebrating my new lease on life!  February and March were pretty successful months. I was doing a lot more and all without oxygen: Hanging out with friends, going to the movies, going out to eat, exercising, going to the dog park, and normal daily tasks.


Theresa Caputo!


I was well on my way to feeling normal, until my last Bronchoscopy on March 14.  While results came back no infection and no rejection, the doctor did perform a small procedure.  Apparently, the left connection of my lung to my sternum was inflamed, so the doctor inserted a balloon to open up the main bronchial tube more.  Since that procedure, I've had breathing issues.  The amount of air I have in my lungs when blowing out is going up, but unfortunately the amount of air I can blow out in 1 second has gone down to levels as low as when I first got my lungs.  The transplant team is concerned and are trying to figure out what to do.  One possible treatment is always going to be plasmapheresis for humoral rejection.  My suggestion is to re-bronch and see if that bronchial is still closed in.  My next appointment is April 5, so hopefully we'll have an answer that does NOT include plasmapheresis.  I have a lot of concerts, girls nights, volunteer opportunities, and other plans coming up, so I better not be stuck in the dumb hospital or lose too much function that I have to start wearing oxygen outside! I started wearing my oxygen when sleeping again because my sternum feels tight at night and laying on my side. I have to realize I'm always fragile and there is always a chance for setbacks.  I just have to remember my motto, "go with the flow".  Easter was nice.  My dad cooked a delicious ham and I made broccoli casserole, garlic potatoes gratin, and sweet potatoes - oh and red velvet cake.  My dad made a great pineapple upside down cheesecake!  All that cooking - my back hurts today!!!
Laura Rocking out with one of her FAV bands, Orgy
On another note, April is National Donate Life month. It's a chance for organ recipients to recognize their donors as well as promote organ donation.  April 16, I will be volunteering at Loyola handing out information for organ donation.  I hope I can give someone information that changes their mind or convinces them to sign up!  On April 18, there is a memorial in the hospital chapel in celebration of organ donors and their recipients.  I will be there to say thank you to my donor, thinking about the letter I want to write to their family, and supporting other families touched by organ donation.
Laura and Dr. Wigfield
Also, thank you to all of you who donated to the fundraiser.  I had no idea how much this fund would help me and Joe and keep stress out of our lives.  Dealing with the health status ups and downs are stressful enough, on top of everyday issues.  The fact that I don't have to worry about medical bills is a wonderful gift.  So, again, thank YOU for the help you've provided.

XO Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment