Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Laughter Is The Best Medicine

Submitted by Laura on Fri, 10/07/2011 - 2:30pm



I find humor in everyday life and I laugh at myself a lot. Laughing is exercise - it burns calories and tones core muscles, right?  Laughter is positive energy. Laughter brings people together.  Studies indicate people who laugh often and have an active sense of humor have a reduced risk for heart disease, lower stress, stronger immune systems and less pain due to the release of endorphins.  This makes me wonder why more doctors are not literally prescribing laughter as part of regular therapy!
At every appointment with my CF doctor, we find something to laugh about. He spends the same amount of time catching up on my illness as he does my life. I feel like my doctor will remember me after he walks out of the room and that I’m not just another case in the filing cabinet.  Laughter creates a bond and a trust between people, which is just as important between friends and family as it is between doctor and patient. I feel lucky to have found a caring doctor with my sense of humor that I can trust to tell everything to; even in the old days when I wasn’t 100% compliant, the nature to which he approached the situation with compassion and humor helped me get everything back on track.
Just to finalize my thoughts on humor and laughter, a few quotes:

  • The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.  ~e.e. cummings
  • Laughter is an instant vacation.  ~Milton Berle
  • Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.  ~Victor Borge
  • Laughter gives us distance.  It allows us to step back from an event, deal with it and then move on.  ~Bob Newhart
  • A man isn't poor if he can still laugh.  ~Raymond Hitchcock
  • Man, when you lose your laugh you lose your footing.  ~Ken Kesey
  • Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. ~Elsa Maxwell
  • You don’t stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing. ~Michael Pritchard

No comments:

Post a Comment